Children as young as two are often fascinated by fire, the flicker of a flame, blowing out birthday candles, the bright colours of lighters even watching an adult light a cigarette.
Always keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children, ideally in your pocket or in a locked draw or cupboard. Teach children that matches lighters and candles are tools not toys and should only be used by adults.
See the Fire Starters Section for more information on children who ‘play’ with fire.
The flame from a candle can easily cause a fire and some candle holders can get very hot especially tea-lights, place them on a safe surface like a china plate.